Friday, January 29, 2010

Product Review: Tropical Traditions Pure Virgin Coconut Oil



*Seeing as how this is my first product review, please be patient/understanding with me!*

A couple of weeks ago I received a jar of Tropical Traditions Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil. When I first opened it, I was a little confused. It was rock solid! LOL The next day, after sitting in my sauna-like house, it had softened up so I began my experimentation with the coconut oil!

Skin
Before I get into the review, let me explain something. Last winter I noticed that my skin had changed. For some reason (not sure if it was due to diet, medication or what) it had become extremely dry. Regardless of how much lotion I slathered on in the mornings, by lunch my legs and arms were not really soft & smooth. I'd read that coconut oil was beneficial for skin as well as hair, so I figured I'd try it. I began using it with the Vaseline intensive care that I usually use, and noticed that it actually lasted! So I started using just the coconut oil and I love it! I can tell a difference in my skin's overall appearance, even fresh out of the shower before I put it on. The biggest difference can be seen on my elbows. They weren't as smooth as I'd like since they're always rubbing against the rather rough arms of my office chair. After only about a week of consistently using the coconut oil they are so soft & smooth! I'm trying to find some way to incorporate the coconut oil in some kinda homemade foot scrub. (#random: I *heart* DIY pedicures, even more than going to get my feet done professionally.) All in all, I am extremely pleased with the results and I'm definitely gonna continue using virgin coconut oil as a part of my daily skin care regimen.


Hair
I am not as pleased with the results of using coconut oil in my hair. I tried using the coconut oil and EVOO as a hot oil treatment and I followed the steps that I found online to the T. I was expecting super soft tresses after that; the results were less than stellar. Fortunately I've never really had a problem with really dry hair, so it's not like this was a major issue. But still, for all that time & effort, I felt like there should have been a noticeable difference. I may try this treatment again and either let it stay on my hair longer, not use a shampoo when I wash it out (or use one that's sulfate-free), or try mixing in other ingredients. I'll update with a part II on how that turns out, should I do so. In the meantime, I am using the coconut oil occasionally just to oil my scalp, especially around the edges. No big TA-DA or anything with that, but at least it gives my hair a nice lil shine when I do it.

Overall, I think I will continue using PVCO, but probably more so for my skin than my hair. Has anyone else used PVCO for their hair and seen positive results? If so, share your secret, por favor!

3 comments:

  1. Hey...i've been a long time "lurker" on your other blog, and just discovered your hair blog...so "Hi". Lol.

    I've been hearing about the benefits of coconut oil and i've been wanted to test it out somehow on my hair (just started my locs about 6 months ago). Im definitely gonna check it and try to create some type of recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello & welcome! You don't have to lurk LOL

    I've been finding a lot of products lately that have coconut oil/milk as a base, so that's what I've been using as opposed to trying out recipes. (I've gotten lazy lol) And I just found out that Tropical Traditions has a coconut oil specifically for hair treatment.

    However, if you want to do your own recipe, there is plenty of info out there to help! You may want to check some of the blogs in my blogroll, Youtube & Twitter (#naturalhair) for starters. If you find something that works well for you, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Grandmother had been using Coconut oil in her hair. Until now, her hair still soft and very strong.
    eindianhair.com reviews

    ReplyDelete