Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Yes, it's another hair blog

After all of my tweeting, debates on message boards and Facebook, and polling friends who have made the switch, I have decided to try to go natural again. I tried about a year ago. You can read about my fail here. But this time I'm ready, and I'm more determined than ever! So I figured I'd chronicle my journey here. So welcome!

The Why
  1. I want to prove people wrong who said I either can't do it or won't look good with natural hair
  2. I want to discover the hair that God gave me (I've been permed since I was 3 or 4, so I have no idea what my hair is really like)
  3. I just want something different.
This is not because
  1. I feel the need to prove that I'm super black (my skin can tell ya that) or think that there's anything wrong with having relaxed hair
  2. I have damaged or unhealthy hair (quite the opposite; my hair is thick, was long until a couple of weeks ago, and very healthy)
What it (this blog) is
  1. A place to keep track of my progress
  2. A place for the info, misinformation, etc. that I find
  3. place to gather ideas from any naturalistas and stylists who may wander across this blog

As of last Friday, I've gone six weeks without a touch-up. Yes, I'm at ground zero. The last time I got a perm was on July 24 when I got my hair cut. I went from this to this:

My thinking was that I maybe able to transition a little easier with short hair than I would with long hair. Last time I got really frustrated because I didn't know what to do with my hair while it was in transition. I'm thinking that I can do rods, twists, etc. easier with short hair, so maybe I'll have more options. Anyway, of today, this is what it's looking like:



Don't laugh at that last picture. It's been a long, tiresome day!

So... here goes. I'm excited :) Let's do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment