Saturday, September 26, 2009

A Note to the self-righteous "conscious" brothers and sisters

Had to do this late night post cuz I keep reading and hearing this bullshit and felt the need to address it, even though I've addressed it in several forums. I gotta speak for my sisters who are rocking permed hair.

PERMED HAIR DOES NOT EQUAL SELF HATE!


Let me say it again for those who can't catch things the first time around:

PERMED HAIR DOES NOT EQUAL SELF HATE!
PERMED HAIR DOES NOT EQUAL SELF HATE!
PERMED HAIR DOES NOT EQUAL SELF HATE!

PERMED HAIR DOES NOT EQUAL SELF HATE!!!!!!

It is absolutely beyond me why people who claim to be all about lifing our people feel the need to down someone over how they chose to wear their hair. Really? Just because I have a perm I must not love myself, don't love being black, want acceptance from white men, etc? That is the biggest bunch of bullshit i've ever heard. Now of course i'm sure there are SOME who have issues with self image, but don't believe the hype like all natural sisters are 100% A-OK with how they look 24/7. Speaking as a woman who has had a perm for the better part of my 24 years, I can say that I have NEVER taken issue with being black. I honestly never even thought about natural vs. permed until I got to college. Perms were just a regular part of my hair care. Didn't mean I was trying to be something I'm not. Didn't mean I wasn't satisfied with myself. So why the hell do these people assume that anyone with relaxed hair is self-hating? And then why do they act as if their permed sisters are beneath them? WTF?! So not only do I have to deal with the racist bullshit from white folks, but now "my people" want to add their own oppression into the equasion (since I'm still technically permed)? I call bullshit. Bullshit bullshit bullshit. I keep saying it because I keep seeing it. It's bullshit, it's wrong, and it's yet another Willie Lynch tactic being put into affect by those that readily call out the Willie Lynch-ism of other shit.

and besides, let me ask this: I wear makeup, does that mean I'm self-hating? I wear clothes instead of running around butt ass naked. So does that mean I hate my body? I have a tattoo. Does that mean I'm not satisfied with the skin God gave me? When I am finally natural, I'm still going to style it instead of leaving it uncombed, unstyled, unwashed (i.e., TRULY natural). Will that be good enough then?!

Sometimes I wanna just shave my head and say FUCK IT to both sides. But then someone would have something to say about that too. I'd be "trying to be a man" or some shit. I dunno, but the next time I hear some stupid shit like that, I'm putting someone in their place.

/end rant

1 comment: