Friday, April 9, 2010

STYLE DISASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, it was so bad I had to use my caps & an ungodly amount of exclamation points to explain it.

So Wednesday night I decided to try something different with my hair, since in my last post I lamented about being bored with my usual twists/twistouts. I wanted something a little funkier, a little edgier. I'm not sure of the name of the updo that I had in mind, but it was kinda like a double french roll all the way up to the crown of my head, with the front out in a spiral-y, sorta-kinda twist-out poof. (Sorry y'all, I know I'm horrible with descriptions!) The image in my head was very similar to the style that Janelle Monae often rocks.

What occurred on top of my head was not what I planned. It was not edgy. It was not funky. It was not cute. It definitely was not Tori D.

What, you expected a picture?!
I wasn't gonna photograph that travesty!
We (me & my mom) blow dried the back & pinned it up... sorta. For some reason she couldn't get the pins tight, so it felt like my hair was gonna come down at any minute. It took us forever to do that, and when we finally said eff it and quit I two strand twisted the front and rodded the twists up tight. Put the satin bonnet on and called it a night. The next morning I woke up to a disaster. The hair that had been pinned up was coming down & some pins had come completely out. No big surprise there. But the major let down was the front. It was still wet. Like I'd just washed it 30 minutes ago. Since it was still wet, the twists were loose and didn't have any kinda shape when I untwisted them; they just did a sad flop down on my forehead. I'm not ashamed to admit that I teared up! I ended up doing two quick flat twists up front (since the wet hair wouldn't lay down right) and doing a ponytail. Hated it, but hey, had to go to work so...

Yeah, that's that. It's still in a ponytail at the moment. I'll flat iron it before this weekend. I'm a little discouraged, but I'm gonna try it again soon. I may have to make a few changes, like doing it as a regular french roll instead of a double. May have to try something different with the front... IDK. Fortunately I've found several tutorial videos on YouTube. They aren't quite doing the look I was going for, but maybe they can help.
Here are a few that I found:





1 comment:

  1. Oh no!! Hair totally has a mind of it's own. Grrrrr.

    How is it doing now? I think you should keep on with going natural. :) Natural hair is SO pretty! As for style, I always thought fros were totally cool.

    Have you checked naturallycurly.com out? They have a tons of wonderful info about all things curly.

    -Sarah.j.s.

    ReplyDelete