Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Make-up Break Pt. I

Lately *well, it was lately when I started this post... in November* I've been on a makeup/tool shopping spree (which is about to be halted unless I can find a sponsor LOL) and I've had some hits... and some misses. My focus has been mostly on the eyes. They say the eyes are the window to the soul right? Well what's a window without some beautiful treatments? :)

1. Eco Tools Bamboo 6-piece Eye Brush Set
From the site:
THIS EARTH-FRIENDLY SET SHOWS RESPECT FOR THE PLANET:
Highly sustainable bamboo handles
100% cruelty-free, soft taklon bristles
Labeling the brushes made this an instant win!
Recycled aluminum ferrules
Natural cotton and hemp cosmetic bag
Reusable storage pouch 
I picked this up for three reasons: it was cute, it was cheap, and I was tired of using the little sponge applicators that come with eyeshadow. My favorite thing about these brushes? On the handle it states which brush it is. That is great for a make up novice like me, because I wouldn't know the smudge brush from the shade brush, the crease from the highlight, and I'd be blending with whatever I grabbed. Although I don't have any other brushes to compare them to, they are a win in my book. The application is a lot easier and better than with the sponges, and at about $7.00 at Walgreens, they didn't hurt my pocket so I'm more likely to go with these than the expensive designer brushes I've seen.



2. Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer (shade: Sin)


from the site:
This miracle eyeshadow primer is unmatched by any other in the beauty industry! The genie in this bottle fulfills three wishes: eyeshadow that lasts, more vibrant and lasting color, and absolutely NO creasing. Apply Primer Potion to lids before shadow application. It dries down almost instantly (and invisibly), creating smooth lids that are super powered eyeshadow magnets.

The formula is full of silicone, which you beauty mavens know makes for a smooth and silky application. Packaged in a pretty genie bottle, our Potion applies with a magic wand and flocked applicator.

I think my expectations for this was a bit off. I assumed that a primer automatically meant that it would make my shadow colors really pop. I didn't really get that, or at least not how I expected. It didn't make much difference on my lid, but under the brow it did too much. Gave me a very clownish look. No bueno. I also have issues with application. Maybe it's just that I'm not used to it, but the brush totally threw me off. I ended up with too much in some places, not enough in others. Definitely a hassle when trying to get out the door in a hurry. However, this primer is not without merit. It kept my shadow from wearing off, which is great considering that I'm usually on the go from the time I put it on in the morning. I'll continue to use primer, but I don't think I'll be dropping another $18 a pop on this one. In the meantime, I'll be adding NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk to my artillery. According to what I've been reading/YouTube videos, that is THE thing to have to make those colors stand out. We will see!


3. Revlon Illuminance Creme Shadow (shade: Va Va Va Bloom)
Note: this is NOT Va Va Va Bloom. This is Black Magic, the one I really want to try.

From the site:
Discover an endless spectrum of luminosity. Play with all 4 shades and watch your eyes light up a new way every time!  

Va Va Va Bloom. I have no idea why this thing wont let me
turn the picture right side up! :-/
I had no real reason for buying this. It was an impulse buy. I was in Wal-Mart and said "oooh pretty colors!" and got it. I was surprised to see that they were cream shadows. Seeing this, I figured, "I bet these colors really pop!" Um, not so much.I had to put a ton of it on to see it, but then that meant creasing. The colors looked great in the packaging but on me they looked rather dull and blah. I think they would be awesome on someone with light skin, but they just didn't do it for me. Not even with the primer. I'm torn because I want to try some other shades but I don't want to be disappointed! The pallets I'm really feeling are Black Magic, Wild Orchids (although I probably won't try it since it looks a lot like Va Va Va Bloom), Precious Metals, Copper Canyon, and Twilight. I can't remember how much it was (my bad) but I don't believe it was more than $8. And since it was cheap, I may have to hunt down the Black Magic and give Revlon a second chance.

3 comments:

  1. the cream shadows are best as a base, which in turn make your colors POP. put the cream shadow on first, then a powder that's a similar color and POP POP, lol.

    Vonnie
    http://www.socialitedreams.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaawwwww shoot, I didn't know that! And I think I've got some powders that are similar to those. Can't wait to get home and play in my makeup! LOL Thanks hun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ socialitedreams
    Thanks so much for the tid bit, I didn't know that either. I was just plastering that stuff on. :D

    ReplyDelete